Friday, May 1, 2009

not a very adventurous picture for an adventurous day

this post will mostly be words, sorry...but i thought i should document this kind of day for all those out there who want a cultural taste and for memory sake- so...one of my friends' mom and dad invited us to join some festivities their family was having in their home village. i like to hang out with this friend (he is in a recent post in my tent) and so we thought this could be a "good family" trip...so, daddy packs me on his back and he carries all my stuff too, we walk a half mile to meet our friends. Then, we play at their apartment for a half hour, then we catch a taxi across town (i did great at this point on daddy's back) but then we got across town and there was maybe 200 pounds of food sitting on the sidewalk that we hung out with (me on daddy's back in the rain) for one hour, then finally the food pick up guy came, we walked just 10 minutes to the public transportation bus to the village. at this point i finally got to get off daddy's back and play standing on the dirty bus ride for 1 hour.

Then we arrive, YES we think, in the village- but we just hang out at this little shop. We are there for maybe 1 1/2 hours and i'm getting very hungry and tired. Luckily, it is cultural to feed children so the shop owner fed me some lunch and daddy chased me a lot running up and down the village road in the rain. After 1 1/2 hours the vehicle finally picked us up to go to my friend's family's house- But, instead of going straight to their home, we stopped at some shack where they worked on the vehicle for over 1 hour. OK, at this point I am really tired...I have missed my whole nap and this is Alot of waiting for me! So, while the car is getting worked on, a village lady invited me over to wash clothes by hand with her. I didn't really understand what she was doing but it was fun playing in the water and I also chased a horse and carriage for about 10 minutes and then i just ran up and down the village main road and played inside the car...OK, so now it has been over 5 hours of just sitting and waiting and well, running around on roads for me...and half of this time i have screamed a bit too...well, we finally hit the "off-roading" section of the trip- we were glad we had some vehicle maintenance done at this time (and now we have 9 people in a 5 seating vehicle)- for a good 10 minutes i scream and finally fall asleep (at the time my nap normally ends)- we go through a small waterfall and up up up a steep slope and it is really muddy, so muddy in fact a big truck is STUCk in the mud preventing us from going All the way to the house so mommy and daddy have to carry me the rest of the way, except the mud is too bad so we have to climb through some rice fields and then there was a creek- our friends jumped across, daddy tried to stand in the middle (while a friend held me sleeping) to help mommy across but the baby inside wouldn't allow her to make it and seeing that even if we made it all the way to our friend's house after 6 plus hours, leaving the next day would be almost impossible because it was calling for more rain and we'd have to hike back down over the creek on our own and possibly all the way down through the steep parts and waterfall...unless we took a motorcycle but that would be a bit dangerous on this terrain with me, no helmet and pregnant mommy sooooo....as i slept we went back down the rice field, back into the vehicle, back down the "off-road" through the waterfall to the public transport bus to the taxi to our house...we put in a full day for not a lot of result, huh? Well, again, this is just so you know all my excitement i did experience but failed to capture on camera and for my memory sake. Love to all who took time to read this!

1 comment:

MimiRymer said...

Wow! What a day! I'm sure your friends really appreciate all the effort you put in to try to get to their family's village. What troupers you are!!!